- Raw Mangoes - 3 Kg
- Chilli Powder - 1/4 Kg
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Kg
- Fenugreek Seeds - 100 Gms
- Salt – 1/4 Kg
- Turmeric – 2 tbsp
- Gingelly Oil – 1/2 Kg
- Red Chillies – 12
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 tsp
- Rub the clean with a soft dry cloth.
- Peel the mangoes and cut into thin long (2″) strips.
- In a large, dry glass or ceramic bottle, mix together mango pieces, salt, and turmeric.
- Set aside for 2-3 days till the liquid begins to separate.
- Squeeze the juice from the mango pieces.
- Sun dry the mango pieces and juice separately for about 3 days or till the mango pieces lose the moisture but are not very stiff. The juice will also become concentrated.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed, heat the gingelly oil to a medium temperature.
- Add about 25 Gms mustard seeds and wait till they sputter and Turn off the heat.
- Add the red chillies and asafoetida.
- Let the oil cool completely.
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds till they start to change color.
- Let cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Grind the rest of the mustard seeds to a fine powder.
- Add the dried mango pieces to the juice and mix well.
- Add chilli powder, fenugreek powder, and mustard powder to the mango pieces.
- Mix well.
- Add the mango-spice mix to the completely cooled oil.
- Mix well.
- Store in a dry, airtight glass or ceramic bottle for about 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, the pickle is ready to eat.
This recipe will be there upto 2 to 3 years :)
Please take the time to let us know what you think about this recipe. Your comments will help us to rate those recipes that most people find enjoyable.