- 2 tsp oil/ghee for roasting the dals and coconut
- 1/2 cup black gram dal (minappapu)
- 1/2 cup bengal gram dal (senaga pappu)
- 8-10 dried red chillies, tear into two and de-seed (adjust to suit your spice level)
- half a coconut, dried, grated or finely sliced
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
How to make:
- Grate the dried coconut or slice it into thin pieces
- Heat a tsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and roast the dals
- dry red chillis in a pan on low heat till light brown and cool it.
- add the grated or sliced coconut pieces and roast on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Note: Dont add any more oil to roast the coconut pieces.
- Once the dals, red chillis and coconut pieces are cool, place them along with garlic cloves and salt in a blender and grind to make a powder of a crumbly consistency.
- Store in an air tight container.